Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mile Two

So I ran this morning. I should let you know, I'm not a runner.

I am, however, 34 years old. 220 pounds. I suffer from both asthma and chronic shin splints. God did not make me a runner. Case in point, I once fell off the treadmill at the gym (I was watching SportsCenter and forgot was I was doing).

But there I was. On an access road near the motel I'm staying at in West Memphis, Arkansas telling myself I just need to try and run a mile. Or half a mile. Heck, just get out the Best Western parking lot and turn back in for the free continental breakfast, and that'd be ok.

My shin splints didn't kick in 'til 1/2 mile into the run and my asthma didn't make an appearance until 3/4 of a mile in. Not bad, I was actually gonna pull this off, "my mile". Check another one off for the week. No big deal, just what I do every day at the gym.

But God, well, He had bigger plans. A further goal. As I was approaching the mile mark (and feeling tired but good about myself), I saw a tree line outside a farm house in the distance which reminded me of my grandpa's house. And I had this urging to keep running until I hit it. Just an urging. And I thought, "Man, if I could run to that tree line, I'd be thrilled."

So I kept running. Shin splints in full effect. Asthma making it feel like I was breathing through a straw, I kept hoofing it like an out-of -shape Clydesdale. I was running after a tree line – my ultimate goal.

Half way to the goal, my mind started telling me "stuff", my guts started feeling like spaghetti and my feet were feeling heavy. I wanted to quit. Something about a gallant effort and all. That's when I looked up and, I kid you not, saw a billboard across the highway that said, "Got Jesus?"

Yessir. Yes, I do. And I've got a half mile to run towards my goal.

So I made my two miles. No Rocky theme music. No jumping up and down on the top the courthouse stairs. No one yelling, "Get 'em , Rock!" Just a nice long two mile walk back to the motel knowing today I ran not one, but two miles, today. Lemme tell you that makes for a nice, long victory walk.

So my prayer for you today is that you define your own "tree line", that goal that seems somewhat out of reach to you right now. Is it losing some weight? Hitting a goal at work? Contacting a new client to help your new business? Getting rid of that pile of papers on your desk that never seems to go away? What is it for you? How do you end the sentence, "If I could only __________________, I'd be ok."

Whatever that is, pray to God about it. Honestly. After all, Jesus said, "Come unto Me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me,, for My Yolk is easy and My burden is light."

Why don't you take him up on His offer today? Just sit and talk to Him honestly about it. Because I can honestly tell you running a mile is ok by yourself, but to hit that tree line goal takes a Running Partner. Now, go lace up and run!

Have a great week!

No comments: