Thursday, October 16, 2008

Daily Bread

"Give us this day our daily bread..."

I've recited that line of The Lord's Prayer countless times, mostly in unison with a congregation or even in a small gathering of other Christians. And most the time I just mutter through it, parroting the line and focus more on whether we'll say "debts" or "trespasses" in the forthcoming line. Shallow praying, I know. And I hate it.

But "Give us this day our daily bread" really meant something to me this week. You too, I'm sure.

In my case it was "Give us this day a tank of gas", "Give us this day a cell phone charge" and "Give us this day a warm shower".

I'm not trying to make light of The Lord's Prayer or put any humor in this thought, it's simply finding an open gas station when my tank was hugging "E" while traveling back to Cincinnati early Monday morning was a time of outright trust in God. Finding not one, but two power converters for my truck to create my own rolling command center was like finding a Christmas present with my name on it. And having my friends insist I stay with them while my power is out is nothing less than an oasis.

But being thankful for help with the small things, the daily things, is hard for us. As people. As Americans. Even as Christians. Because we idolize the people who are self-made successes, shy away from labels like "support group" and even have a hard time when a store clerk asks, "Can I help you?" ("No...no I'm just looking."). Admit it, you probably hate having to ask for help. From a friend. From a stranger. From God.

But a storm that led to a week with no power, meant blocked roads and countless closed stores shakes up our routine, displaces our little world and shows you that, try as you might, you're not walking solo on this journey. We all need God. We all need others. And that can be scary. An inconvenience. At times, it can even be a let down. But it can also be a blessing. A growth experience. And a healing experience like no other.

"Give us this day our daily bread..."

That's faith and trust in something other than myself. Something I need to work on.

I just had my morning coffee and truly, honestly thanked God for it today. Probably for the first time ever. "Thanks for taking care of me, God. Thanks for putting the people in my life who I can ask for help and they can ask the same from me. Thank you for all you do for all of us, big and small, to show us how much You care for us and protect us. Thank you for my daily bread."

So now what? Do we just let this week go and "get back to normal". In a way, I hope so. In another, I hope not. Because the next time I recite The Lord's Prayer I'll be more focused and heart-felt when I say, "Give us this day our daily bread..." and not worry as much about the whole debts/trespasses coin toss. After all, God will take care of that, like He does with all things.

That's faith and trust in something other than myself. Something I am working on.

No comments: