Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kristen

Last week, I shared stories about a couple of my friends, Davis and Jerry, who have disabilities. And your responses were many and heartfelt. So I wanted to continue on that path a bit more this week, but wasn't sure how. So to kill some time - ok, "stall" - I checked my Yahoo! email (aka - my junk email box) and there it was, a story that fits perfectly into last week's "60". Here's the link:



Pretty cool, huh?

And the most amazing part to me is, these are high school kids voting her as their Queen. They all banded together and saw through Kristin's "imperfections" to vote her in. Would your high school peers done that? Mine wouldn't. Heck, I thought this stuff only happened in Disney movies. But maybe today's kids see deeper than we think they do. At least they do in Texas.

John 13: 34-35 says, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

And I think the kids at Aledo High are doing just that, showing their community, their state and their nation what love can do - crown a queen. Not in pity or as a feel good project, no. It's because they see, sure she has disabilities, but that she doesn't let them debilitate her. That's more than a queen, that's a champion.

So I'm going to keep the writing section of this "
60" short so you can spend time watching the video, learning about Kristin and the kids at Aledo High. And I hope and pray that you've identified a "wheelchair" or disability in your own spirtitual, emotional or financial life and are working with God to become your own champion. It will take work. It will take time. But, oh my, is it worth it. To get past the lies, the scars on your heart, the weight of mocking shame and to be set free, trust me, it's worth it. More importanly, trust Him, he won't let you down.

As Kristen's friend said about her, "She's always up for anything". I hope you are too, in Christ.

No comments: