Thursday, April 2, 2009

Gauges

Mile marker 62. An hour outside Cincinnati. That’s when the oil pressure gauge in my truck started to flutter.

And I started to pray.

Now, I know it’s easy to dismiss someone else having car trouble. I’ve done it, we all do it. But when it’s you in trouble, well, well, well, that’s a whole 'nother story, isn’t it? And no matter how many Clint Eastwood films I’ve memorized, or Steve McQueen DVDs I own, I was doing everything I could to keep my cool.

Even though the engine was running fine – it sounded fine, it felt fine, no huge plumes of smoke coming out the exhaust pipe – the simple fact that that one single gauge wasn’t working right had me sweating. And praying. Hard.

After 15-20 minutes of borderline panic, I’d simply had enough and said, “No...I’m not going to be afraid. No, no, no. Not going to do it”. And I started praying if God wanted my truck to break down, for me to be even more behind at work, for me to rack up yet another tow charge and repair bill, well then fine, it’s His deal. But I didn’t think so. And all I got back was a soft, “Keep going...this is what having real faith is all about.”

“Real faith”. Uh-oh. Because my faith pretty much stinks. All God was asking me to do was to keep driving and have faith I would make it home ok. And all I wanted to do was bail.

Because faith is tough. We pray. We hope. We try to do the right things and hope we’re doing what God wants us to. But, for a lot of us, we keep looking for gauges in our life to “see” if everything’s ok or not. Which is the rub, because God is more interested in what we do in faith than acts of obedience or being “good”. It’s tough, trust me, I know. Sometimes it’s the hardest thing we can go through.

Just how important is faith to God? Check out Hebrews chapter 11. The first couple verses set it all up right out of the gate, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.”

And what follows those verses is a laundry list of biblical “All Stars” as well as a description of how their faith led to their eventual greatness. Abel. Enoch. Noah. Abraham. And the list goes on and on. What’s interesting is the author makes sure to list the adversity each person went through first, then how their faith lead to their eventual success. Much more than simply saying “faith is good”, the author makes it crystal clear by listing first the struggle, then the glory. Check it out for yourself, I think it’ll really inspire you.

So here’s the deal. What I want for you, as well as myself, is to be more open with your faith, your white knuckle faith, in God. Sure, it makes you vulnerable. Open to failure. Takes the “control” out of your hands and gives it back to God. For some of you, it may be the hardest thing you’ve ever done, and that’s ok. But know this, God honors those who have faith in Him (again, read Hebrews 11). If He’s nudging you to do something in pure faith, it can be scary, it can be completely outside your comfort zone, and, it can be the best decision you ever made.

And He will get you through it, every single time. That’s what I learned. So then next time, you’ll be able to not look at your own gauges to “see” if everything is ok but instead, step out in faith to say, “Ok, God, I really do trust you. Let’s do this...together.”

No comments: