Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fear

Fear. It sucks. And it sucks the life right out of you.

And right now, a lot of folks are living with a ton of it. Losing their jobs. Losing their homes. Losing their faith. Losing the life they once enjoyed.

Or, ok, let’s get a little more personal. Fear of failure. Fear of starting a new relationship. Fear a current relationship is on the rocks. Fear of being 50 years old and having no earthly idea what you’re supposed to do with your life. Fear of existing and never really living.

Me? I was living with fear solid for over two years. Day in. Day out. It was like trying to lose my own shadow, constantly right there with me driving everything I did and didn’t do. I'd started my own business and was living off unemployment and savings for the first year and was scraping up as many clients as possible to make it through Year Two. And it was tough, and it still is. But there comes a point...and I want you to know this 100%...there comes a point where it either breaks you or you break it.

And for me, this past Christmas morning was when it broke. Not me, “it”.

I had driven from Cincinnati into Evansville to play my recurring (and critically acclaimed) role of Santa Claus for my nieces and nephew. So after my 5:45 am showtime, I was driving back to my grandpa’s house when I was pulled over for speeding. The officer’s first question - no kidding - was,“Have you been drinking tonight?” I’d driven in from Cincinnati. I’d played the role of the Jolly Elf. But drinking at 6:30 on Christmas morning? No sir, I don’t believe so.

And here comes the fear part: After he took my license and was running it through the system, well, that was it. I just started shaking my head and gritting my teeth. I’d had enough. Now, it wasn’t just about getting nailed by a small-town speed trap. It was simply I’d had enough of living in fear. Period. And in a gut-level prayer I pretty much said as much. I was done. Had enough. Whatever happened, it was God’s show. But let it come, let’s get this over with and move on.

In Luke 8:40-56, we find that Jesus is being called by Jairus to heal his twelve-year-old daughter. Along the way, a sick woman touches his cloak and He pauses to ask, “Who touched me?”. He then begins talking with the woman. While Jesus is still talking to the now-healed woman, friends of Jairus come to tell him his daughter, his twelve-year-old daughter, is now dead.

Ok, let’s stop there. Time is running out for the girl, she’s gravely ill and Jesus, more than being slowed by a mob, is being held up by this woman who wants to be healed. There’s a girl dying nearby, in fact, she’s the reason Jesus came here in the first place and she’s going to die if he doesn’t get to her soon. But, instead, he’s chatting with this woman. How would you react? With fear or confidence?

That’s when Jairus’s friends tell him his daughter is dead. It’s no use. There’s no hope. In fact they say, “Don’t bother the teacher anymore.”

But here’s the spin. Jesus tells Jairus, “Don’t be afraid, the girl will be healed.” When they arrive at his house, the Bible says all the people were wailing in grief. But Jesus? He gets annoyed. Annoyed with the people crying and sobbing and carrying on and orders them to stop it (seriously, read it) and then tells the little girl to get up....which to everyone’s amazement, she does. Jesus even gives her something to eat just to show people how alive she really is.

And that’s what I want for you if you’re living with constant fear or even fear about certain aspects of your life. Life will tell you, “Don’t bother the teacher anymore”. That’s it’s no use. There’s no hope.

But Jesus, he’s no worried. He shows up and more than revives you, He feeds you as well. We just have to give it to Him, trust Him and believe in His word. Even after all seems lost and in the grave that He will revive you. Your spirit. Your hope. Your life.

Because He can. And He does. And all the while reminds us, "Don't be afraid".

No comments: