Sunday, January 25, 2009

One Shot

A gut check. That's what I received for taking a 15-minute break. God's "velvet boot" kicking me gently, but ever so effectively, in the kiester to help me gain a truer perspective. Funny how He does that with me. Often.

See, it's been a long, l-o-n-g week. Long hours. Short deadlines. Pressure. And other projects backing up. So today – correction – tonight, I'm running out of gas. Worn down. Spirit fading and desire slowly sliding into a slight state of "numb". So I decided to watch the news for a break. I'm allowed that, right?

So there I am, watching the news, martyring myself and the week when the news does a feature of ProMujer.org. Pro Mujer gives micro loans to poor, yet enterprising, women in Latin America who literally have nothing. Women who were seen as second-class are given small loans to start their own businesses so they (and their children) can survive. The woman the news highlighted lives in Bolivia and through her loan, started her own bakery.

(Warning: here's where the "velvet boot" comes in, kids.) She works, get this, 20 hours a day (no, that's not a typo). 20. Because she's committed to making sure her business doesn't fail. In fact, she now has a few employees (including her husband!) and she hopes to get a car to expand her business soon. And during the interview, she never stopped working - or smiling. Because someone gave her a $17 loan, she can make her own way and in her words, "have dignity".

(BTW – It was at that moment I began to feel small and sheepish.)

So here's the deal. I am tired. Run down and a bit mentally spent for the day. But I can't go to bed without telling you about these couragous, wonderful women. Go check out the web site (ProMujer.org) and I promise you you'll be inspired by their stories. And their perseverence. They dig deep. They only asked for one chance to prove themselves - one chance - and are making good on their promise.

And I can't stress this enough, that's all God wants from you. For you to take a chance on Him.

Just to give Him one shot...one chance to prove Himself to you. For my friend Todd who's 15-year-old son has undergone 41 operations in his short lifetime... and no "expert" thought he'd live to see 15...there's God showing what He can do with His one shot. For a lady who even a short while ago was afraid to pray for people out loud who is now a beloved Outreach leader and tears down cultural walls and hardened barriers with a hug, God's shown her the awesome power what His love can do.

Mark 10:27 says, "Looking at them, Jesus said, 'With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.' ". I want you to print out, copy, jot down that verse for this week and keep it handy. Just keep it in the forefront. Not to memorize it or as some weird "Bible verse chant", but know what it means. To you. From God. "...for all things are possible with God." "With" as in, "you and Him working together."

I know many of you are tired and need the refreshing waters of Christ. Need to know God's promises of protection and deliverence...provision...
rest...peace...favor, all that and more. And He will provide. But He needs you to take a chance on Him (and that's not always easy, I know. Trust is not my strong suit.)

Because here's the deal, God doesn't quit. God doesn't break. God doesn't blink. And God works His will 24/7 and relishes the time you spend with Him. And working His miracles in your life. All because you trust and take a chance on Him.

Which, ironically, isn't chance at all.

No comments: